Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sneaking veggies in ordinary kids dinners...

You were probably asking yourself how, how do I get veggies in my kids foods without them knowing. I have a solution for you, butternut squash and mac & cheese.
It's pretty simple all you have to do is boil the water for the noodles just like the package tells you. Then I took a smaller sauce pan mix the 4 tablespoons of margarine and 1/4 cup of milk with the cheese powder that they provide you. Then this is the fun part mix those together (if you have a child helping you cook I would have them put away dishes or put away the toys maybe set the table so they don't see you put the squash in)Put about a fourth of a cup of puréed sweet potato or puréed butternut squash is. (The reason why I chose those two is because they are both yellow and they will match the cheese sauce for the mac & cheese.) So just mix in your chosen vegetables. I also tweaked the seasoning a bit I added a little bit of onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, salt and pepper. Of course you can add your own touches, lucky for me my daughter loves garlic and turmeric you can't really taste. Then you are done...in the picture below I added some topping for my husband.

Butternut squash topping 
  • Four 1/4 inch slices of butternut squash
  • tablespoon of butter
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 2 tsp brown sugar (depends on your tastes, more or less - up to you)
  • 2-3 Basil Leaves (optional)
Put butter in a pan on medium low heat, once the butter has melted place the slices down and sauté them 2-3 minutes on each side. Next sprinkle with some brown sugar, salt and the pepper on the squash. Turn them over a few times to coat in the glaze and you should be done. I chopped up some basil and topped it to make it look pretty. Got 2 thumbs up from my hubby for this dish.

*Update*
A variation of the cheese sauce is that you can do it with velveta.

  • 1/4 Cup Milk
  • 1/4 inch slice of velveta cheese cubed up
  • 2 TBL Butternut squash 
  • salt, pepper and any other seasonings you prefer.
Put everything in a pot and stir at low heat. Pour over whatever you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment