Sunday, January 25, 2015

Tiramisu Stuffed French Toast

So the other night I was thinking, "I have to use this loaf of bread..it's pretty stale...french toast would be perfect..." Hm...search Google...viola! Found a cream cheese stuffed french toast. I really wanted to do a berry one until I started this recipe.
I have this bag of cappuccino mix on my counter and ended up adding it to my cream cheese mixture. That's pretty much how it started...in the end it remind me of a tiramisu...


Tiramisu Stuffed French Toast
(Adapted from Baking Bites)

6 1 inch slice of some sort of bread (I used French bread, you can use Challah or even sourdough..just not sandwich bread)
4-oz cream cheese, softened
3 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
3-4 tbsp cappuccino powder or Instant Coffee (Optional)
1/2 cup chocolate milk
1/2 cup left over coffee plus 1 tsp
 2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Cut one pocket about one inch, in one end of each slice of bread using a sharp knife. 
In a small bowl mix together cream cheese, confectioners sugar, cappuccino powder and some coffee until smooth. Spread about 1.5 oz of filling into each pocket using a small knife. Filling must be inside the pocket not near the edge.
In medium bowl mix together 1/2 cup chocolate milk, 1/2 cup coffee, 2 eggs, and some vanilla extract. Transfer to pie plate. 
Preheat your skillet over medium high heat.
Dip bread, two pieces at a time, into the milk and egg mixture. Let it soak both sides pretty well. Transfer to hot pan using a spatula (don't want a mess...) Cook until golden on both sides, 3-4 minutes on one side...1-2 on the other. Serve immediately and repeat. 
I didn't serve this with syrup...it would enhance the sweetness...I did top it with some leftover filling. Almost like a butter in a way.



No comments:

Post a Comment