Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes

I'm  I'm really hoping making these will make the warm weather come back...these are for calling out spring. Lemon is surely a warm/ spring like fruit right?
I really enjoy lemon anything. My mother sucked on lemon with salt..not sugar, but salt when she was pregnant with me and my sister...my 4 year old daughter likes lemons. Lemon is in my blood. Lemon poppy seed just takes it farther...remember those lemon poppy seed muffins. Whether it's with a glaze or not it was biting into spring. That's where I kinda wanted to go with this one. 
I didn't fully create this one either..I'll get there but I did take it from another site. This lady was a genius with Strawberry Lemon Poppy Seed. I didn't have any strawberries on hand so I opted out for it, but the syrup she made I wish I made it. 
So I'm not sure if this is another desserts for breakfast...but I decided to do a lemon poppy seed pancake. Maybe if lemon curd was with it...oh yea that would put it over the top. 


Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes

1 1/4 Cup Flour
1 1/2 Tbl Poppy Seeds
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp Salt
Zest of 1 Lemon
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
2 Tbl Lemon Juice 
1 Cup Buttermilk (see note)
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Preheat large skillet over medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Prepare the pancakes. In a large bowl combine flour, poppyseeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest. Then whisk ingredients until well mixed. In a separate bowl whisk together lemon juice and sugar add buttermilk vanilla and egg then whisk until smooth. If you don't have buttermilk see note below. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients  and pour wet ingredients into the well. Mix the ingredients until just incorporated. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto preheated skillet. When edges look dry and bubbly use a spatula to flip the pancake. Cook about a minute and a half on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with some type of topping. I would recommend doing a strawberry syrup from the original recipe. I did it with regular pancake syrup and it did not do justice I'm sad to say. Maybe I will work on a lemon curd syrup we will see. Let me know how you enjoyed this recipe. 

**note**
If you do not have buttermilk this is what you can do. Take one cup of milk and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Easy right? Who wants to buy a big old thing of buttermilk when you can just make it with your own milk you have at home

No comments:

Post a Comment