Saturday, September 28, 2013

Cheesy Butternut Squash Noodle Bake

So I made this recipe I found out of a Better Homes and Garden magazine. To be honest...I rarely actually make something I tear out of magazines. So sad...but butternut squash was in season and I knew I could get it at my favorite Saturday Farmer's Market!! (can I hear a woot woot!?) Plus this recipe hid the fact it had this squash. 

So as I read this recipe I knew I had to change it around. Somethings it called for I didn't have. The recipe is originally called "Cheesy Butternut Squash Cavatappi Bake". As you can see I changed Cavatappi - to Noodle. It does say any other elbow macaroni is fine. Let me tell you...I have so many dried pasta's. (Got most of the for free - yay coupons) I looked through some and I found a pasta I had stored in a bag...so I have no idea what it's called...I'll try to find it. (I found it - it's called plexoudes pasta, which is greek. Who knew?) Other things I changed is the cheese I used and mushrooms. Like all my recipes - I adapt. If I don't have something I find something that will. Just remember you can use anything you have in your home. Don't need to go out to the store for something special..use what you got. (Winks)

So enough rambling, right? Here is what you need or can substitute.


Ingredients: 
3 Cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 1/2 Cups of Chicken Stock
8 ounces dried pasta (any macaroni type)
1 Tablespoon of butter
8 ounces of cremini or button mushrooms, sliced (any)
2 Tablespoons of flour
1 Cup Fat-Free Milk
1 1/2 Cups of cheddar cheese, shredded
Turkey Bacon
Panko Crumbs (Optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 Degrees. Lightly coat a 2 quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
Take the butternut squash you peeled and cubed and place it in a saucepan with your chicken stock. Bring to boil. You will know it's done when you can pierce the squash with a knife and it goes in like butter... drain some of the stock, leaving just a bit. Then in the pan, smash the squash. I did this and even put it in my blender for a smoother..velvet like texture. Set aside.
Cook the pasta according to the directions, drain. In a medium saucepan heat the butter over medium high heat. Add mushrooms. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add milk and some salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in squash. Add pasta. Gently fold to combine.
Transfer half of the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half the cheese, then put the rest of the pasta on top. You can put some bacon and panko crumbs for some extra crunch. Bake, uncovered, 20 - 25 minutes or until heated through. Makes 6 servings. 

Remember to have fun and if you want to check out BHG version - link is below. This is my adaption to theirs. Hope you like it. 

Also for those vegetarians out there...you could totally do it. If you do, let me know. I would love to see or hear how it went too.






No comments:

Post a Comment